EdVest Home About the Plan Investment Options Your Account Planning Tools Open an Account Contact Us EdVest Home Plan Basics Open an Account Contributions Using Your Money News Center

What is the minimum investment?
The minimum initial investment needed to establish an account in the plan is $250. This minimum is waived if you set up an Automatic Investment Plan for as little as $15/month coming directly from your bank account or paycheck.
How much can I contribute?
There is no annual maximum contribution for EdVest, although there may be gift tax considerations for contributions over $12,000 ($60,000 if pro-rated over five years). Once the combined balance of all of the accounts set up for a single beneficiary reaches the program maximum ($246,000), no additional contributions will be accepted, although the account balance may continue to grow.
Does EdVest offer a Dollar Cost Averaging feature?
Yes. EdVest offers a Systematic Exchange feature that allows you to invest a lump-sum into one Portfolio, then automatically transfer a set dollar amount into another Portfolio. Click here for more information on the benefits of dollar cost averaging.

A program of regular investment cannot assure a profit or protect against a loss in a declining market. Since such a program involves continuous investments regardless of fluctuating share values, investors should consider their financial ability to continue purchases through periods of low price levels.

Can I convert an Education Savings Account (formerly known as an Education IRA) into a 529 plan?
Yes. A qualified withdrawal may be taken from an Education Savings Account (tax-free) if the money is then placed into a 529 plan for the same beneficiary. There is no penalty for this liquidation as long as the assets are placed into a 529 plan.
I have savings bonds for my children. Can I transfer those assets to a 529 plan?
Yes. However, since only cash can be contributed to a 529 plan, the bonds would have to be liquidated. Series EE or I-Bonds purchased after 1989 may be converted tax-free to a 529 plan if the eligibility requirements are met to do so.
How is my money invested?
EdVest offers several specially designed investment portfolios. You select an option at the time you establish the account. Once money is invested, you may change that option once per calendar year or when you change the designated beneficiary on the account. You can always control where to invest new contributions. Click here to get information on the available investment options.
Can more than one person make contributions to an account?
Yes. Anyone can contribute to a child's account. However, only the account owner has control over how the assets are used in an account. A person wishing to make a sizable contribution may want to consider opening a separate account for the same beneficiary.
Can I contribute to an Education Savings Account if I have an EdVest account?
Yes. $2,000 is the annual maximum contribution that can be made to an Education Savings Account.

What happens if my beneficiary or I move out of the state of Wisconsin?
Nothing. You still own your EdVest account, may continue to make contributions, and may use the money when your beneficiary is ready. However, some of the Wisconsin state tax benefits may no longer be available if you are no longer filing Wisconsin state income taxes. If you pay state income taxes in a state other than Wisconsin, please contact your state plan and/or your tax advisor for more information.

If I am a Wisconsin resident, how do I report my contribution on my Wisconsin tax forms?
Wisconsin taxpayers can deduct up to $3,000 in contributions per dependent, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece or nephew from their Wisconsin state taxable income every year. Contributions must be postmarked by December 31 to be eligible for that year's deduction. The tax deduction per child will be equal to the amount of the contribution or $3,000 – whichever is less. There are several important things to note:

The deduction is taken on Form 1, line 11 under "Other Subtractions," Code 14.
In order to claim the deduction, a parent contributor must claim the designated beneficiary on the account as a dependent on his or her Wisconsin State income tax return.
Grandparents can also claim deductions on their Wisconsin state income tax return on contributions made on behalf of their grandchildren. Grandchildren do not need to be dependents of the grandparents or live in Wisconsin for the grandparent to receive the Wisconsin tax deduction. However, the grandchild needs to be related to the grandparent either biologically or through adoption.
Aunts, uncles, and great-grandparents can also claim deductions on their Wisconsin state income tax return on contributions made on behalf of nieces, nephews, and great-grandchildren.
If you are married, filing jointly, the total deduction per beneficiary cannot exceed $3,000. For example, if a couple has 3 children, they may be able to deduct up to $9,000.
If you are a married grandparent, filing jointly, the total deduction per grandchild cannot exceed $3,000. For example, if a couple has 5 grandchildren, they may be able to deduct up to $15,000.
The deduction cannot be more than your total income for the year.


This Web site is accompanied by a current program description for EdVest. Consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses of the investment carefully before investing. This and other information about EdVest can be found in a current program description. Please read it carefully before investing.

An investor’s or a designated beneficiary’s home state may offer state tax or other benefits that are only available for investments in that state’s qualified tuition program. Please consider this before investing.

Privacy PolicyImportant Legal InformationProgram Rules open an accountaccount logine-mail usfaq